Thursday, November 26, 2009

Chichen Itza

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm still in Mexico.

Today, I went with my family to the Mayan city of Chichen Itza. It was really cool to see the ruins and stuff there and to learn about how advanced their knowledge was. They must have had some really good engineers!



That picture shows the pyramid at the Spring equinox. If you look at the stairs on the left, you can see that the sun makes a snake shape running down the side of the pyramid. This happens only at the spring and fall equinoxes. Also, there are 91 steps on each side, 91x4=364 and the top is one more, which represent the 365 days in a year. There was some other significance to it having 9 levels, but I can't remember exactly how that worked in. Even cooler, is if you stand in line with one of the stair cases and clap, the echo makes this crazy noise that sounds exactly like the call of a certain bird that the Mayans considered to be special.

They were some pretty smart people... hopefully they're wrong about the whole 2012 thing though...

I'm going diving with bull sharks tommorrow! Hopefully I'll return in one piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment